Sunday, April 10, 2011

Back in the states

I am back from Haiti and will be approaching the blog as a review of my time there. This is what I wrote the first night after arriving in Jeremie:

Looks different/looks like what Africa looks like in my mind/people are beautiful/many dress really nicely/surroundings more poverty stricken than I have seen/people do not seem threatening/wanted to cry on our drive up the mountain because I am here and am seeing something unlike anything I had ever seen/ most bumpy roads I have ever been on - can't imagine how hard it is to keep a car running - or how easily the brakes could go out. Incredibly mountainous and rugged - everything is that way - one road that leads to same place - many children walking with water jugs - all ages - the oldest girl usually has a big water vessel balanced on her head. Saw this several times - children of families walking down the road with water - Jeremie has grown since the earthquake - used to be 50kish now is around 85k (relocation) - rugged island - not easy to tame - rich, vibrant colors . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment