Monday, April 25, 2011

April 8, 2011 in Jeremie/Last Day cont.

Florkencia was scarce on the last day at the orphanage. I spent a lot of time with Patrick, who I also felt a great connection with and some with Peter as well. They are amazing young men and I am praying that they will grow up to be empowered and successful men of God in Haiti. I can honestly say I would be able to take one or both of them to live with Barry and I. (I know that is not the plan for them and will address that in another post, but I did contemplate it.) I was also reminded, when I taught in public schools, my favorite group to work with was 12 and 13 year old boys. Don’t know why, but the Lord put it in my mind when I was standing there with the two of them and it made me smile.



Patrick was showing me a cross that he had made – simple and beautiful. He tried to give it to me, but I couldn’t accept it. He had just made it and now he was trying to give it to me. The room below is where Peter sleeps and likely Patrick too. These kids do not have any material possessions and it is very difficult to accept one that they do have.


When Patrick saw that I was reluctant to take the cross, he left for a few minutes and came back with a picture of himself. The picture was taken at the VBS program that had taken place earlier that week. After some debate with him, tears flowing down my cheeks, I took the picture. (*see picture below) I gave him my “fishers of men” bracelet (will explain later) – a very sweet moment and one I will always treasure in my special Haiti memory bank.



Now, it was really getting close to time for our departure and I kept wondering where Florkencia was. I had not seen her in the last few hours and I didn’t want to leave without speaking to her. Gene and Shelba said it was time to load up and we were gathering our backpacks – while I was scanning the grounds for her. Didn’t see her. I got my backpack and started to put it in one of the trucks that would be taking us back to the compound when one of the other girls ran up to me and handed me something. She said, “Florkencia, Florkencia” – when I looked at what she handed me, more tears came. It was a picture of Florkencia in a plastic frame, her name written in her own hand on the back. She knew we were leaving and she had sent this girl to give me her picture. I asked the girl “Where is Florkencia? At first she just looked at me (I need to learn Creole) I asked her again, “Where is Florkencia?” She took me by the hand and we ran back to the courtyard to find her – she was there. I hugged Florkencia and kissed her cheeks. I thanked her for the picture and she smiled a little. Here is the picture she sent with me.


It felt like an ending to a story, a dramatic moment to make the audience cry, but it really happened that way. This quiet, sweet little girl wanted me to remember her . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . trust me, I will.


Luke 18:16b
. . . For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children

No comments:

Post a Comment