Monday, May 16, 2011

It's Been Awhile . . . . .

I haven't written in awhile, but Haiti has not left my mind - honestly, it would be easier if it would. I still struggle to put into words the lessons I have taken from that place, but will continue to try.
While we were there, Gene asked each one of us to volunteer to do devotions - one of us in the morning and one at night. Mine turn was to be the evening of April 4. I knew one of the girls on the FCWC team pretty well and had been getting to know the other team members from our church in bits and increments the weeks before we left. Traveling with them to Haiti and watching them after we arrived gave me time to watch them on a deeper level. I had met Pastor Randy, from the Greenville team on two brief occasions before we left, and his other three team members once, but two days with them and I felt like I had known them for a long time. Our two teams meshed really well and it was comfortable to be with them very quickly. I knew that the Lord was directing me to try to encourage each person, on both teams, individually. (In sharing this, I will be giving you a glimpse of each one on our team) One of the events earlier that day helped me do that.

After visiting two church plants (St. Charles and The River) we pulled over to look at the beach for a few minutes. (the one with the ship wreck that I mentioned on an earlier blog written on April 13) One of the striking features of this beach was the absence of sand. There was no sand all the way from the coast to the road - it was all rocks.


Beautiful, colorful and very smooth to the touch, each of these rocks were unique. Each was created to glorify the Lord. Tossed, smoothed, veined, chipped, and placed among thousands and thousands of rocks - yet each one completely unique - each a stand out.
All of us picked up at least one rock from that beach.

Here is the devotion from that night:

I asked each one of you to bring a rock of your choosing. Pass your rock around so that we can each look at it - each rock is completely unique and special. Each rock was created for God's glory. Even if no one else ever noticed it - the Lord does. You are like your rock. Unique, specially designed, one of a kind. I would like to share some things I have seen in you over the past 2 or 3 days.

Kristen - humble, honest, loving, amazing with children - eye contact & connection with each and everyone, first to do devotions

Miriam - gracious, servant heart, children drawn to her gentle touch, journaling, non discriminatory

Randy - loves the Word, thoughtful, wanted to finish the water project no matter what

Lisa - infectious laugh, tender mother stand in, honest, thank you for sharing a private pain (it opened the door for others to do so)

Jen H. - loves babies, artistic, kind, generous (on a deeper level)

Donna - open, warm, sweet spirit, thinks ahead with a great deal of
care

Katelyn - journaling, reading word, thinks, kids drawn to her because of her beauty but then her patience and gentle way

Debbie - fresh perspective, honest, positive, missionary

Jen B. - thoughtful, deliberative, detail, caretaker - waking all of us, providing for every need

Karen - delightful, fun, clear, intriguing

Marvin - watches, listens, supports, makes people feel safe

Gene - easy, makes others feel comfortable, never
presumptuous , loves his wife, open to each one willing to come - sees the best

Shelba - patient, supportive, sage, waited to see everyone get in and then got in the back end of the truck, loves her husband

I want to encourage you with the fact that God sees each and every good thing about you and He wants you to use it for His glory.

Rev. 2:17 & 18
He who has an ear let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

The Lord is going to give each believer, you, if you have made a definite choice for Christ, a white stone with your new name on it. You will be the only one with that name - special, unique and designed for Him.

(End of devotion)

So the Lord taught me a lot while I was in Haiti and some of it was about the Americans that I came with.




1 comment:

  1. Love this!!! You are very special, too! Wonder why there is no sand. Might be because of so many hurricanes, but then how does Florida have sand. I got nothing. The rocks are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete