Sunday, March 27, 2011

Prelude to a Haitian Adventure

I have decided to set up a blog because I will be heading to Haiti in less than a week and am hoping to do a little journaling here.

Due to a series of odd events, these are the travel arrangements that my little team is to undergo:


1. Meet in the church parking lot at 1:30a.m. this Friday
2. Drive to Cincinnati (approx. 1 hour and 45 minutes from our location)
3. Half of our team leaves on AA at 6a.m. and flies to DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) then goes from DFW to Miami

4. The other half of my team leaves at 7:30a.m. and flies directly to Miami
5. Hopefully, the team will be united in Miami and will all fly to Port-au-Prince together.
6. After arriving in Port-au-Prince, we will all be loaded onto a large, open truck (with two 50 pound bags each) and start on our journey to Jeremie. This could take anywhere from 5 to 9 hours or more. There is a possibility that we will be stopping at Les Cayes - a sort of midway point - to spend the night with a missionary family before we make it to Jeremie.

A dear friend of mine has been in Haiti for three days and has written that we will be heart broken at some of what we will see on that drive . . . . . .

She also shared that, after two days of bumping up and down the roads of Haiti, the truck finally pulled up to the orphanage i
n Jeremie (where we will all be working) and the children came running out, surrounded them and kissed them on the cheeks.

I am anticipating that it will all be worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I didn't know you were going to an orphanage! I can't wait to follow your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels to you and your group. Thank you for journaling this trip for us! I love to hearing about the ways in which people are called to lend some assistance to these situations that are happening in our world. So easy to get caught up in the daily grind and forget how easy we have it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys - I appreciate your thoughts and prayers! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you!!! Be safe and know that we love you!!!

    ReplyDelete