Monday, March 28, 2011

One bag packed

One bag packed and one to go . . . . . .

I had fun packing my first bag for Haiti - it is filled with stuff to leave there: soccer balls, balloons, crayons (lots of crayons), coloring books, baby dolls with dark skin, combs, medical supplies, individual bags of items an Eagle Scout did as a project . . . . . lots of odds and ends. But, as the trip gets closer, and we are starting to hear from our team members that are currently in Jeremie. Here are some quotes from some of their posts:

"Port-au-Prince is still devastated from the effects of the massive earthquake some 14 months ago. Our eyes saw absolute poverty like we’d never seen in our lives. Millions of people living in tents, or a couple of pieces of metal held together with some rope!" Steve Mathews

"Its way worse than what anything u can imagine here.. Were safe tho no worries!!!" Brittany Pardo

"
I went back to Yvrose's orphanage again today. She showed us a lady who's husband was killed with a machete and she has 5 children, expecting her 6th and they are in a room the size of our new bathroom - only 2 beds! yes all of the children and mother sleep there. Please continue to pray for Haiti. There is so much hardship here - its very sad." Debbie Warner

" . . .
my heart is breaking for the people of Haiti! Its unlike anything I ever imagined. I held a baby this morning until she fell asleep. So sweet and innocent." Lisa Kinney


So, the Lord is already working on my heart and though my first bag is full of good intentions - it is already falling quite short. Doesn't mean I can't wait to get there, just means that my eyes are a little more open.


No comments:

Post a Comment